HUG MEETS: Kelsey Harrison
Kelsey has built a platform of “Celebration of Abilities” through her beauty competitions. She was inspired to be an advocate for inclusion by her brother. However, by following this dream Kelsey has become an inspiration to others.
In Kelsey’s Words:
- What is your favorite color? Royal Blue.
- What is your favorite movie? Wonder
- What would you do if you won the lottery? Tithe to my church and invest in my own company specializing in employment opportunities for those with disabilities.
- If you could be any animal in the world, what animal would you be and why? A Yorkie house pet, because they provide joy to others, receive lots of love, and they are always surrounded by family.
- What song pumps you up? All My Hope by Crowder, and Tauren Wells, this song amplifies my faith, and hope in Jesus Christ.
- What are some of your proudest accomplishment(s)? – Being inducted into the Golden Key Honor Society at the University of Florida, being on the Presidents list at the University of Florida, winning the Quality of Life Scholarship at the 2017 Miss Florida Pageant for the work with my platform, winning the Community Service Award at the 2017 Miss Florida Pageant, receiving the Academic Achievement Scholarship from the Miss America Organization, and lastly, Celebration of Abilities [Kelsey’s platform] becoming a 5O1c3
- Who are your idols? First and foremost, God without his grace and mercy I wouldn’t have the abilities to accomplish all that I have. In this life my idol is my younger brother Carson. Despite being “labeled” in this world as different, and in the medical world as autistic his light shines brighter than anyone I’ve ever had the pleasure of being around. He is intelligent, empathetic, resourceful, and above all resilient. He has never allowed any limitations to diminish his goals, or dreams.
- What 3 things are you most passionate about? Bridging the social gap between those with disabilities, and those without while providing resources, care, and love for successful lives.
- What inspires you? I receive my motivation, and inspiration from volunteering with special education students, interacting in their every day’s. Most students encase positivity, and create a space of vulnerability for authenticity, creating self-growth in my own life.