HUG MEETS: Kat Magnoli
On a daily basis Katherine overcomes many challenges and remains focused on her goals. She is a role model to others with her driven personality. She is an author and enjoys reading her stories to children. Katherine is a powerful woman!
In Kat’s Words:
- What is your favorite color? Turquoise, because it reminds me of the ocean which is my place of peace, serenity and happiness.
- What is your favorite movie? Newsies, it is about a group of people coming together for a common goal to fight against an injustice and in the end win.
- What would you do if you won the lottery? I would donate half the money to my childhood school St. Agnes Children’s Rehabilitation Center. The other half I would spend on my mother and I traveling around the world because no one deserves a vacation more than she does.
- If you could be any animal in the world, what animal would you be and why? A dolphin because they are so cute and get to live in the ocean.
- What song pumps you up? It depends on my mood.
- What are some of your proudest accomplishments? I am a published author of a book series titled The Adventures of Kat Girl, about a super hero in a wheelchair who helps kids realize their strengths even though other’s say they are weird for being different. In addition to this lesson Kat Girl also teaches the bully that everyone has something special inside of them so there is truly no difference in any of us, thus creating a friendship between the two characters.
I am the Co-Host to an online radio show entitled Behind the Chair, that features remarkable people living with and without disabilities who are working on strengthening the disability community and creating inclusion in the world.
Lastly on the night of April 1st, 2017 I was crowned Ms. Wheelchair Florida 2017 and throughout my reign I worked diligently to spread my message of Youbilities. In other words, I encouraged people with disabilities to go out and show the world what they can do in order to change the perception the world has on those of us living with any kind of challenge. During my reign I also was able to get beach accessibility in both Sunny Isles Beach and Bal Harbor. I had the honor of helping Miami Dade County Public School District implementing a program I created starting this coming October. The program was none other than the Youbilities Program, that will teach children about celebrities and historical figures from both the past and present who struggle with a physical or cognitive challenge but do not let it stop them from reaching incredible heights of accomplishments. My hope is that this program will help further my effort to change the perception of disability from something to pity to admiration.
- Who are your idols? My mother and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- What are you most passionate about? 1) Achieving full inclusion 2) Educating children. 3) Inspiring others by being an example of positivity.
- What inspires you? Hearing stories of other peoples’ strength during hardships. I am inspired when I witness a child’s face change from confusion to inspiration after hearing The Adventures of Kat Girl. Lastly positive people with a good outlook on life.